Thursday, September 8, 2011

My Sunflower - Day 1


Today is the start of my quest to growing a magnificent sunflower. I was given the inner plastic cup, soil, and a couple of sunflower seeds today in class to grow the sunflower all semester. With the inner cup, I have placed a series of holes at the bottom to allow excess water to drain. I decided that I didn't want the cup to come in contact with the soil on the ground so I placed the cup inside of a larger plastic cup. (It previously housed a McDonalds strawberry-banana smoothie. Yay for recycling!) When I first placed the smaller cup inside the larger one it just rested at the bottom. This, however, defeats the purpose of trying to accommodate for water drainage because the water would have no where to go. As a result, I came up with the ingenious idea of taking 4 drinking straws and using them as splints to prevent the inner cup from resting on the bottom of the larger cup. The straws are secured with thumbtacks and scotch tape (yes, I am very resourceful). The straws hold the inner cup approximately .75in from the bottom surface of the outer cup. I then placed this contraption about 2 inches into the ground against the edge of the porch and used this random 6 inch nail I found in the yard as a stability reinforcement in case of gusty winds. Lastly, I added water (hopefully not too much). I guess in time we will see if I have a green thumb!

No comments:

Post a Comment